Rob Sellers | August 12, 2020 https://oklahoman.com/article/5668879/point-of-view-private-schools-provide-stability-for-oklahoma-students-parentsThe COVID-19 pandemic has been changing our way of…
Event Will Showcase Different Education Options Available to Families
OKLAHOMA CITY – Attendees at this year’s Oklahoma School Choice Summit and Expo can enter a drawing to win one of three $15,000 scholarships offered by the Opportunity Scholarship Fund to be awarded at the event. Winners will be announced during the keynote program from 7 to 9 PM, which will feature remarks from national school choice proponent Roland Martin. The keynote portion of the event will also feature a panel discussion with Oklahoma legislators led by former Oklahoma lawmaker Jabar Shumate.
The event will take place on January 25 from 4PM to 9PM at OCU’s Meinders School of Business on 250 N. Blackwelder Ave in Oklahoma City. It is hosted by ChoiceMatters, a non-profit that provides parents free information, resources, and support to help them navigate their child’s pre-K through 12 education offerings.
Prior to the evening’s keynote program, conference attendees will have the opportunity to visit with representatives from dozens of local schools while enjoying free food and entertainment from 4PM-7PM. Also during that period, breakout sessions and panels will discuss a wide variety of topics, including “Edupreneurship” and the creation of new schools, charter school myth-busting, and affecting change in the education community.
ChoiceMatters Executive Director Robert Ruiz said the conference is an eye-opening experience for many parents and students.
“A lot of people think they have only one option for their child’s education: the local public school,” said Ruiz. “For some families, that is a great option. For others, a charter school or a private school may be a better match. We are here to show families that they have choices, and that there are a lot of resources out there to help parents find the right school for their kids. We encourage families to come to the summit and learn about those choices and resources. Whatever your income level is, whatever your child’s needs are, we are ready to help you find an educational experience where your children can learn in the best environment possible.”
In order to qualify for one of the three scholarships, worth $5,000 each for three years ($15,000 in total for the three years), the attendee must be present to win and adhere to the following rules in the giveaway:
- The family will select and apply to one of the OSF member schools it chooses to attend
- The student will be required to fulfill the enrollment requirements of the member school. This scholarship does not guarantee a student will be qualified to be accepted or attend the member school as they must meet the academic and lifestyle requirements of the member school.
- The school and/or parents will confer and determine the financial arrangements of their child’s education at the time they are accepted for enrollment
- The family and student will accept and remain in good standing with the member school it attends. There is no guarantee of attendance if the student does not follow the member school’s rules or remain in good academic standing.
- If the student has any special needs, the member school must be able to reasonably accommodate those special needs without any undue financial hardship by the member school.
- The family agrees to be responsible for the amount of tuition, fees and other costs (over-and-above the amount of scholarship awarded) associated with attendance at the OSF member school that it chooses.
- After the third year of this scholarship award, the family will be responsible for the cost of attending their student’s school. It will be incumbent upon the family and school to agree to a cost of attendance for the student’s continued enrollment at the OSF member school that it chooses to attend. It is the family’s sole responsibility to determine its financial ability to pay for their student’s education.
Attendees are encouraged to RSVP either on the ChoiceMatters Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/EdChoiceMatters/) or through Eventbrite at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oklahoma-school-choice-summit-expo-2018-tickets-41448783427.